01 April 2013



"I welcome the liberation of music from the prison of melody, rigid structure and harmony. Why not? But I also listen to music that does not adhere to those guidelines. Listening to the Music of the Spheres might be glorious, but I crave a concise song now and then, a narrative or a snapshot more than a whole universe. I can enjoy a movie or read a book in which nothing much happens, but I'm deeply conservative as well - if a song establishes itself within the pop genre, then I listen with certain expectations. I can become bored more easily by a pop song that doesn't play by its own rules than by a contemporary composition that is repetitive and static. I like a good story and I also like staring at the sea - do I have to choose between the two?" (David Byrne, How Music Works)

2 comments:

alexandra g. said...

He doesn't have to & we all know it.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.