21 December 2013

FOLK SINGER WITH A CAT (II)

Joni Mitchell - Taming The Tiger (1998) 



"I'm a painter first, and I kind of apply painting principles to music. I think my production skills are visual. (...) Painting is my first language. (...) Poetry, what you're doing is you're stirring up thoughts. It's a stimulant of some kind. So you're watching the thought process, which is anti-Buddhism. Instead of trying to empty the thoughts out, which is meditative, with the poetry, you're making the head jump and raiding it for linguistics. I've got Irish blood so I'll go, 'Oh, the blarney's running!' All of a sudden, linguistically, there's a lot of alliteration in my thought patterns, its a good time to address a melody you're working on. But it's a jumpy head and you're going - good, better, best. With painting the head process is different. It's like meditation. It just comes down to synapses, the hum of the wires. Non-verbal. The discourse has been silenced" (Joni Mitchell à "Uncut" de Dezembro)

No comments: